Welcome to the Northstar Camaro Club of Minnesota Forum.
We finally got around to changing the input shaft in Jessie's LT1 T56 to the shaft of the LS1 T56 (LONGER). After so many issues with the short hydraulic setup mating the LT1 style trans to the small block in his 69, we decided to go mechanical. In order to do that, we needed a special long pilot bearing, longer input shaft on the trans, adapter plate, and to modify the throwout slide on the face of the trans/bellhousing adapter plate. This also meant new input carrier bearing as well. It was super easy, and we are looking forward to getting it back in the car.
The Boys working:
Front plate of trans:
Cleaning the adapter Plate:
GEARS!!!! (Input shaft removed):
T56 shaft in front, LS1 shaft in rear:
The boys are messy:
Adapter plate mounted to bellhousing:
Test fit to trans (next 3 pics):
Overall the only part that took time was cooling the new input shaft enough, while heating the new bearing enough to allow them to mate nicely. This worked much better than pressing them together! Cleaning the RTV used to seal the front plate was also tons of fun. This trans will now work with a standar clutch fork/throwout bearing, and a stock style (26 spline) clutch.
Ya gotta make a mess, if ya wanna get something done....
Just look at my place....
.......And how do you like the custom "T56 Anti-drip Upright Trany Holding Fixture".
Aaron cut off the top of s 30 gallon plastic barrel, which held the trany pretty steady while we worked on it. When we were done we loaded the barrel and trany into Jesse's trunk and went fishin.